Friday, June 26, 2009

Making Hand Drums



A few weekends ago, 2 friends and I took the Chi-Cheemaun (the big canoe) ferry from Southbaymouth to Tobermory and from there to Meaford. Coming and going we stopped at Elliotts Market just north of Wiarton. They have lovely fresh fruits & veggies and best of all baking and the largest assortment of home baked breads I have seen any where. We bought French Herb, Garlic Cheese and Raisin, were they ever delicious.

I stayed at my friend Diane's new home just outside Meaford. What a beautiful place she has. Here are some photos around her garden. We sat on her deck overlooking the gardens and made our drums. Five women from different areas of Southern Ontario.

It was a great day overcast in the morning so it was not too hot. However the sun blazed down in the afternoon and it became quite uncomfortable.




We had a wonderful lunch of quite a variety of salads, lots of cool drinks and a rubarb dessert. In the morning we cut the lacing for the drums. We started by smudging all the parts with sage,and then began to string our drums. It must be done slowly and is hard work and needs strong hands. It is great for team work as we can help each other.


The hide had been soaked in cold water to make it soft and flexible. The frame must be centered on the face of the drum and then the lacing begins


This is a very brief overview of drum making. It is very spiritual, meditative and a time for fellowship, sharing and laughter. It was a wonderful day and we all went home relaxed and full of joy.

Next week I will be telling you all about the wonderful Summer Solstice Celebration our Drum Circle held.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Ciann for a lovely post.
    What a fabulous day you had. I love the drum (I have one, it was a gift). I was a part of a womens circle many moons ago :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ciann!
    I just visited Kate's blog because Kate and my daughter April met each other at Haliburton. April was studying silver smithing - and I think maybe Kate was as well, but am not sure.
    What a small world.

    ReplyDelete